So you’re approaching the due date with about a week or so to go. But you and I both know that only 5% of babies actually arrive on their predicted due date (if you didn’t, now you do). The waiting is killing you and there is nothing you can do to speed up the process, well almost nothing but that’s a topic for another day. So the question is what do you do to pass the time? Let’s face it, the past 8 months have flown by but this final week is starting to feel like the longest week of your entire life. You can’t do any work as your mind is elsewhere, you can’t go on holiday as you have to be accessible, you don’t want to eat sh*t food in case you get Delhi belly and you’re called on. Honestly my biggest fear is my phone ringing just as I sit down on the throne.
The worst part is you think it’s a week but it could be more and the wait is getting excruciatingly more painful. Think about it as waiting to ride the scariest roller coaster of your life. The queue is massive so you’re not scared at first but the closer you get to your turn the more time starts to slow down and you realise that you have to ride that damn coaster. You can’t turn back as you’ve already purchased your ticket. You know that once you get on the ride and it starts you’re going to be fine, but you can’t get on the bloody ride and that’s the worst part!!!
Fortunately for you I have developed a less than foolproof plan that has yet to be tested and is not guaranteed to work whatsoever. The plan is to pass the time by keeping yourself occupied. But what can you do? Fear not here are my top 5 tips to pass the time in Dad’s final week of pregnancy.
- Due date sweepstake. Nice and easy to do using Google Docs and you can share it with your friends. Make sure there is money involved… otherwise what’s the point.
- Learn an instrument. I’ve found playing the Ukulele is a great way to pass the time. It’s a fairly simple instrument to pick up and you can learn a ton of songs just by playing 4 chords. It’s also easy to fingerpick simple baby songs such as twinkle twinkle little star. Guaranteed to pick up no women!
- Start a blog. Believe it or not, I only started this blog a week ago. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve started making websites before… But I’ve never finished any of them. This time I was determined to finish one and by God I did it. (MAN ROAARRR)
- Start watching a light hearted comedy series. Nothing so intense that it keeps you up until 3am biting your nails itching to find out what happens next. 24, Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, etc… are big no no’s. Parks & Recreation, Episodes, Big Bang Theory, etc… are fine, 20 minutes per episode start anywhere you want.
- Pick up ridiculous new hobbies. This weekend I flew a model air craft in the park and crashed it every time. Here’s the video for proof.
I think point 5 is my favourite because it really does open the door to new and exciting things you probably never thought about doing. I personally wanted to do the following as well but the above have kept me quite busy, namely this blog.
- Growing vegetables
- Start exercising
- Learn to make and fly a kite
- Star gazing
The list goes on and these are pretty normal but the possibilities are endless. You just have to find them and do them.
Do or do not, there is no try – Yoda